Girl Scouts of the USA (“Girl Scouts,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) owns and operates this website (the “Website”) to allow users to customize and purchase Girl Scout badges and engage in related activities.
Use of this Website
In order to access some features of the Website, you will have to create an account. You are not allowed to use another user’s account without permission. When creating your account, you must provide accurate and complete information. You are solely responsible for the activity that occurs on your account, and you must keep your account password secure. You may change your password at any time by updating your Account Profile page. In addition, you agree to immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security. We cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this Section.
You agree to not use the Website to create any material that:
- Is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable
- Infringes on any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any third party;
- Constitutes a breach of any person’s privacy or publicity rights, a misrepresentation of facts, or hate speech;
- Violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation; or
- Promotes software or services that deliver unsolicited e-mail; or contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancel bots or other similar harmful programming routines.
You may not, except with Girl Scouts MAKE YOUR OWN BADGE express advance authorization or in a specially designated area, use the Website to:
- Upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any User Submission that provides any telephone numbers, street addresses, last names, URLs or email address; or
- Engage in commercial activities within Girl Scouts MAKE YOUR OWN BADGE ;
- Harm minors in any way;
- Solicit personal information from anyone under 18;
- Provide false or deceptive information;
- Use Girl Scouts MAKE YOUR OWN BADGE content to engage in commercial activities;
- Delete, add or otherwise change other people’s entries or other Content when you have not been granted the privileges to do so; or
Additionally, we retain the sole discretion to reject any order that we consider libelous, defamatory, obscene, or profane; any order portraying irresponsible use of alcohol or other substances, advocating persecution based on gender, age, race, disability, or national origin, or containing explicit sexual content; or any order that we consider otherwise inappropriate for production.
Intellectual Property Rights
We are committed to the appropriate and legal use of the intellectual property of others, and we require our users to behave similarly.
All Website software, design, text, images, photographs, illustrations, audio-clips, video-clips, artwork, graphic material, or other copyrightable elements, and the selection and arrangements thereof, and trademarks, service marks, and trade names (the “Content”) is the property of Girl Scouts and/or its subsidiaries, affiliates, assigns, licensors, or other respective owners and are protected. Girl Scouts hereby grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-assignable and non-transferable license to use and display, for noncommercial and personal use only, one copy of any Content and/or software that you may download from this Site, including, without limitation, any files, codes, audio or images incorporated in or generated by the software provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained in such Content. You agree not to reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, display, perform, publish, distribute, disseminate, broadcast, or circulate any Content to any third party (including, without limitation, the display and distribution of the Content via a third party website) without the express prior written consent of Girl Scouts of the USA. Use of Girl Scouts and/or its licensors’ Content is only permitted with express written permission. You further agree that you will not disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, or otherwise modify the Content. Any unauthorized or prohibited use may subject the offender to civil liability and criminal prosecution under applicable federal and state laws.
Unless otherwise noted, all materials, including images, illustrations, designs, icons, photographs, video clips, and written and other materials contained on any Girl Scouts MAKE YOUR OWN BADGE site (collectively, the “Contents”) are copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, and/or other intellectual properties owned or controlled by Lion Brother Company, Inc.
You agree to not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the Content other than expressly permitted herein, including any use, copying, or distribution of User Submissions (as defined below) of third parties obtained through the Website for any commercial purposes. If you download or print a copy of the Content for personal use, you must retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained thereon. You agree not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security related features of the Website or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on use of the Website or the Content therein.
We reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Website and the Content contained therein. We take protection of copyrights, both our own and others, very seriously. We therefore employ multiple measures to prevent copyright infringement over this Website and to promptly end any infringement that might occur.
If you believe that your work has been copied or posted on the Website in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you will need to send a written communication that includes substantially the following (please consult your legal counsel or see Section 512(c)(3) of the Copyright Act to confirm these requirements):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material. Providing URLs in the body of an email is the best way to help us locate content quickly.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
As explained above, if we receive a notice of infringement sent to our designated agent with the information described above, we will expeditiously remove or block access to the material that is claimed to be infringing. We will also send a notification to the user who posted the material, at the email address provided by the user in connection with his or her account with us, telling the user that the material was removed or access to it was blocked because of claimed infringement.
If you are a user who posted material that was removed in response to a notice of infringement and you believe that material was removed due to mistake or misidentification, you may request that we replace the posting by sending us a counternotice as follows:
You must send the counternotice to our designated agent for receiving notices of infringement, whose name and contact information is above.
- A physical or electronic signature of the subscriber (you the user).
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
- A statement under penalty of perjury that the user has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
- The user's name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that the user consents to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the user's address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the user will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of copyright infringement or an agent of such person.
WE CAUTION YOU THAT IF YOU KNOWINGLY MISREPRESENT THAT ONLINE CONTENT IS NOT INFRINGING, YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO HEAVY CIVIL PENALTIES. THESE INCLUDE MONETARY DAMAGES, COURT COSTS, AND ATTORNEYS FEES INCURRED BY US, BY ANY COPYRIGHT OWNER, OR BY ANY COPYRIGHT OWNER'S LICENSEE THAT IS INJURED AS A RESULT OF OUR RELYING UPON YOUR MISREPRESENTATION. YOU MAY ALSO BE SUBJECT TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTION FOR PERJURY.
Such written notice should be sent to our designated agent as follows:
GIRL SCOUTS MAKE YOUR OWN BADGE AGENT
GIRL SCOUT LEGAL TEAM
10246 Reisterstown Rd.
Owings Mills, MD 21117
YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT GIRL SCOUTS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR USER SUBMISSIONS OR FOR ANY DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
The material in this site could include technical inaccuracies, typographical errors, or omissions. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions and to change or update information at any time without prior notice.
The Website is controlled and offered by Girl Scouts from its facilities in the United States of America. Girl Scouts makes no representations that the Website is appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use the Website from other jurisdictions do so at their own volition and are responsible for compliance with local law.
User Submissions include the content and design of any customized badges and any descriptions of the badges created by Users. The interactive nature of posting on the Website makes it impossible for us to assume responsibility for any of the materials posted by users. We make no guarantee regarding the reliability, accuracy, or quality of any User Submissions, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such User Submissions. All User Submissions posted to the Website are the sole responsibility of the person who originally posted the User Submission, and your sole recourse for damage you may suffer as a result of a User Submission shall be to such individual. You shall be solely responsible for your own User Submission and the consequences of posting or publishing them.
By submitting a User Submission, you authorize Girl Scouts to use, and authorize others to use, such User Submissions in whole or in part, throughout the universe in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised, alone, or together or as part of other material of any kind or nature. By submitting a User Submission, you represent and warrant that you have all necessary rights in and to all content you provide and all information contained in you User Submission and that such User Submission shall not infringe any proprietary or other rights of third parties or contain any libelous, tortuous, or otherwise unlawful information. If your User Submission incorporates the name, likeness and/or image of any individual, you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant Girl Scouts permission to use such name, likeness and/or image of such individual appearing in the User Submission in all media throughout the world in perpetuity.
Girl Scouts does not allow, and you agree not to provide any User Submissions that contain:
- Private or personal information that might identify a user
- Profanity or obscenities
- Personal attacks on other individuals
- Slanderous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, threatening and harassing comments; and/or
- Other information that Girl Scouts deems in its sole discretion to be inappropriate
By submitting a User Submission, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold Girl Scouts, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or related entities and parties harmless from and against any breach or alleged breach of any of your representations, warranties or undertakings, hereunder.
If you believe that any content on the Website (including, without limitation, User Submissions) violates any of the terms of this Agreement, please click here to send us a message about it. We cannot guarantee that we will respond to your message and we reserve the right to take or refrain from taking any or all steps available to use once we receive any such message.
You retain all your ownership rights in your User Submission. However, by publishing the User Submission in the Girl Scouts MAKE YOUR OWN BADGE Gallery, you hereby grant Girl Scouts of the USA a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable, and transferable right and license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and/or perform the User Submissions in connection with the Website and for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media now known or hereafter developed. The foregoing license granted by you terminates once you remove or delete a User Submission from the Website.
If you choose to use the Website to create and publish designs, we require that you adhere to generally accepted rules of etiquette and standards of behavior, and that your use of the Website reflects your respect for the legal rights of others connected with the Website. You understand that Girl Scouts does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any User Submissions.
You agree not to collect or use any personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) including without limitation account names, email addresses, or other User Submissions (as defined below), from the Website, nor use the communication systems provided by the Website for any commercial solicitation purposes, including without limitation to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Website.
Security of Your Account
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU REMEMBER YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD AND THAT YOU KEEP YOUR USERNAME, PASSWORD AND SECRET CODE IN A SAFE PLACE OFFLINE.
We will use your username and password to identify you when you return to the Website. If you forget your username or password, you may not be able to access the Website. We recommend you print a copy of your account summary since it records this information. You can print your account summary when you complete the registration process.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the password associated with your Account, and for all activities that occur through the use of your Account. You agree to:
- Immediately notify Girl Scouts of any unauthorized use of your Account or any other breach of security, and
- Exit from your Account at the end of each session. Girl Scouts will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with these security requirements. You may be issued a new password or required to change your password from time to time.
Ads and Malware
We take great care and pride in creating this Site. We are always on the lookout for technical glitches that affect how the Site works. When we find them on our end, we will fix them. Unfortunately, your home computer may cause some glitches that affect how you see our Website—and that is beyond our control.
If you experience any unusual behavior, content or ads on the Website, it may be the result of Malware on your computer. Malware—short for malicious software—is a term used to broadly classify a form of software, which is installed in a computer system with malicious intentions, usually without the owner’s knowledge or permission. Malware includes computer viruses, key loggers, malicious active content, rogue programs and dialers, among others. While we continuously work closely with our partners to ensure that everything on the Website is working properly, sometimes Malware programs on your personal computer may interfere with your experience on our Website and on other websites that you visit.
We suggest that you take some of the following actions which may help to clean your computer and which could prevent future installations of Malware.
- Install a SpyWare Removal Tool such as Spybot Search & Destroy or AdAware to clean your computer of Malware.
- Install antivirus software, such as Norton anti-virus or McAfee Virus-shield.
- Install Microsoft Defender (for Windows computers).
Please note that we cannot be responsible for the effects of any third-party software including Malware on your computer system. Please make sure to carefully read the Help or Customer Support areas of any software download site.
If, after taking the above actions, you are still experiencing any problems, please feel free to contact us.
If you do discover any Malware on your system, we also suggest you speak with a qualified computer technician.
You agree not to use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, “robots,” “spiders,” or similar technological devices or programs, that access the Website in a manner that sends more request messages to the the Website servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional on-line web browser. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Girl Scouts grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the Website for the sole purpose of creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. We reserve the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases, in its sole discretion.
Modifications to the Website
Girl Scouts reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Website (or any part thereof) with or without notice. Girl Scouts shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Website.
Links to Other Websites and Services
This Website may be linked to other websites and services that are not maintained by Girl Scouts. We are not responsible for the content of those sites. Consequently, we cannot be held responsible for the accuracy, relevancy, copyright compliance, legality, or decency of material contained in websites listed on or otherwise linked to the Website. The inclusion of any link to such websites does not imply endorsement by Girl Scouts. Girl Scouts of the USA make no representations whatsoever about any other website, which you may access through this Website. We reserve the right to disable links from third-party sites to this Website.
The publication of email addresses on this Website is to facilitate communications relating to the functions of this Website and must not be inferred as consent by us to receiving unsolicited commercial electronic messages.
This Website is available internationally and may contain references to programs, products, and services that are not available in your country, state, or particular location. These references do not imply that the Girl Scouts intend to announce or provide programs, products, or services in your country, state, or particular location.
Unless otherwise specified, the content of this Website is presented solely for these purposes of promoting programs, products, services, and other content available in the United States and its territories, possessions, and protectorates. Those who choose to access this Website do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable.
If you have any questions or concerns relating to the Website, they can be sent to the attention of our Customer Service Representative at email@example.com. Should we be unable to resolve the issue, the following rules may apply to the dispute.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THIS SECTION PROVIDES FOR THE RESOLUTION OF MOST DISPUTES OR CLAIMS THROUGH ARBITRATION INSTEAD OF COURT TRIALS AND CLASS ACTIONS. YOU SHOULD READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY; ARBITRATION IS FINAL, BINDING, AND SUBJECT TO ONLY VERY LIMITED REVIEW BY A COURT. THIS SECTION GOVERNING DISPUTES WILL SURVIVE ANY TERMINATION OF THIS USER AGREEMENT.